One Day at a Time

Happy Tuesday to you! It’s the last day of June…wow! Summers always seem to go so fast, right?!

We’ve made some progress on the bromeliad patch of horror…it’s been a project! If you are just now stopping by here is the post where this all started. In between rain showers and life in general, we are slowly seeing the results of our labors. Stiff joints, achy backs and tired arms remind us that we ain’t in our 40’s anymore! We get up pretty early and work for a couple of hours and then the heat and humidity remind us what rules this island!! šŸ™‚

A young hen checking on our progress!

A young hen is checking on our progress! Can you see her?

The tally so far is 3 CEMENT pots, 3 various clay pots, 3 single slippahs, 6 5-gallon plastic pots, 8-9 smaller plastic pots (in pieces so hard to get an actual count!), one notebook, a couple of plastic bottles and one aluminum can and today I dug out 2 larger plastic pots.

Plastics found...

Plastics found…

Yes, those pots on the left are CEMENT!

Yes, those pots on the left are CEMENT! Can you say…heavy!?! I found another one after this photo was taken.

0626155

I am still trying to get to that green pot! Fingers crossed its intact but it probably will be too brittle after being in there for so long!

June 30, 2015 – things are looking nicer! I uncovered those 2 large plastic pots today and the bottom of the dead tree in the center.

0630153

The view from the street just past the water meters.

Apparently, previous owners/tenants placed black plastic under the tree and put potted plants on top of it. Several neighbors have stopped and commented on our progress. They have said the patch has looked like that for years, decades even (no doubt about that!) and strangely enough do not want any of the free bromeliads I have offered! šŸ˜‰

Mr. G has had a horrible allergic reaction on his arms and legs after helping last week. He has been miserable with the itching and oozing of it! He has a doctor’s appointment tomorrow to hopefully get him cleared up. We can get so much more done working as a team! We held up Bert from cutting more tree limbs since Mr. GĀ  wouldn’t be able to clear them away this weekend.

I did have another critter come up for an inspection. He needs to stay for a few days and feast on all the bugs I released from their hidey holes!

Gecko

This guy blended in so well I didn’t notice him until he moved!

I really thought we’d have at least the bromeliads cleared out this month. Oh well, as my neighbor, Ruth, stoically said to me, “there are 365 days…!”

On island time, it will get done soon enough!

Aloha!

Advertisements

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Jane Martyn
    Jun 30, 2015 @ 15:27:53

    Wow too bad you can’t send me some of those bromeliads. They are one of my favorite plants! Looking good!

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply

    • sbrctag
      Jul 01, 2015 @ 08:05:49

      I would be happy to send you some, Jane, but these are not the pretty bromeliads that bloom. They have some red leaves in the center but no flower. These are more invasive and are ant, roach and mosquito havens. Thus, the “chicken house” smell that wafts with every bit we clear! Ewww! Thanks for popping in! šŸ™‚

      Like

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: